A Reference Refresher
Fri, 05/14/2010 - 9:00am - 5:00pm
PCC Rock Creek Library Room 213
17705 NW Springville Rd.
Portland, OR 97229
About the Event
Do you ever feel like you need to be an expert on everything when you staff the reference desk or virtual reference service? Providing good reference service requires up-to-date information on all sorts of ever-changing topics. Come to this workshop for a refresher on these seven important reference areas: search engines; science reference; medical reference; government documents; business reference; legal reference; and copyright law.
In this hands-on training, expert librarians will review a few essential resources in their field of expertise, and then provide an update about what is new and important in that field. We’ve asked our experts to both cover some basics and discuss new developments and resources in their subject area, and maybe share a treasure or two the rest of us might not know about.
Morning (9: 15 a.m. – noon) :
- Search engines (Getting the most out of Google, and going beyond it - from Andrew Hamilton, OHSU Library)
- Science reference (Earth Portal, Cascadia Scoreboard, Encyclopedia of Life, and more - from Carol McCulley, Linfield College Library)
- Medical reference (Consumer health, Terminology, Medical statistics, Drug & Disease information sites, and free resources from the NLM - from Andrew Hamilton, OHSU Library)
Afternoon (1:00 – 4:45 p.m.)
- Government documents ("Born digital" documents, depository changes in Oregon, and more - from Dena Hutto, Reed College Library)
- Business reference (new Gale business databases and more - from Heidi Senior, University of Portland Library)
- Legal Reference (Wexis, Legal Zoom, and beyond - from Laura Orr, Washington County Law Library)
- Copyright law (Creative Commons, finding copyright-free media, Google books, and more- from Rachel Bridgewater, Reed College Library)
Sign up for one session or the whole day. A boxed lunch is available for an extra $10 (sandwiches or wraps – choices will be provided for those who take this option.)
Cost: morning only $40; afternoon only $45; all day $75: all day plus lunch $85
Register at http://www.portals.org