Superpower your Browser: Open Source Research Tools
Contact: Margot Conahan
Tue, 03/23/2010 - 11:00am - 1:00pm
About the Event
Libraries are harnessing the power of digital resources, moving tools and resources not only onto the Web but into the browser software itself. Open source browser plug-ins such as LibX and Zotero can help researchers at every stage of the research cycle, from search and discovery to writing and citation.
The LibX search toolbar can be customized to search your library's catalog and databases, insert library links into sites like Amazon and Wikipedia, and more. Zotero is a citation manager and bibliography creator that is as easy to use as iTunes. New features such as online storage and shared libraries make Zotero a strong competitor to proprietary software.
This webcast will examine these two powerful browser tools as well as others. By using free, open source tools, libraries can offer assistance and resources with little cost and foster skills that patrons can use throughout life, regardless of location.
• identify some of the advantages of using open-source software tools in library research
• build a personal citation library and automatically generate bibliographies using the Zotero plugin for Firefox
• use the customizable LibX toolbar for search, point-of-need library autolinking, and easy off-campus proxy access
Presented by: Jason Puckett
Librarian for Communication and Instruction Librarian for User Education Technologies, Georgia State University Library
Cost: See registration details
ACRL member: $50
ALA member: $75
CACUL member: Can$90 (charges will be made in U.S. dollars)
- You will need to log in with your ALA ID & password. If you do not have an ALA ID & password, you will be asked to create one in order to register.
- Download and complete the PO registration form.
- Submit the form along with your actual PO to ALA registration (fax or mail; see form for details).
- You will not be considered registered for the course until both your PO and the registration form have been received and processed by ALA registration.
Member rates apply to personal memberships only. Want to join ACRL or ALA? Complete the online membership form, available on the ALA Web site. If you join ALA/ACRL within five days of registering, we will adjust your fee (please fax a copy of your completed registration form to ACRL at 312-280-2520).
Payment may be made by credit card or purchase order (PO) only.
If paying by PO, the PO number is required at the time of registration.