Intellectual Freedom: Basic training for new staff and a refresher for the rest of us
Event Type: Online/web-based
Thu, 01/12/2012 - 12:00pm - 1:00pm
About the Event
Title: Intellectual Freedom: Basic training for new staff and a refresher for the rest of us
Presenter: Mary Minow
Date: Thursday January 12, 2012
12 Noon Pacific
This webinar will last approximately one hour. Webinars are free of charge and registration is ONLY done on the day of the event on the WebEx server. No Passwords are required. For Tips and Registration Information, please go to http://infopeople.org/training/webcasts/tips.html
For more information and to participate in the DATE webinar, go to http://infopeople.org/training/intellectual-freedom
A parent asks you to remove a book from the shelf because she feels it could harm her children.
A library user complains that the current collection of magazines doesn’t include his political viewpoint and too much of a different one?
What do you do?
Learn techniques to approach these challenges and others, along with a firm background of intellectual freedom in libraries, including relevant laws and court cases.
At the end of this one-hour webinar, participants will:
· Identify and interpret key ALA documents, policies, and decisions related to intellectual freedom, both in print and online
· Identify and understand holdings in key court cases on intellectual freedom in libraries
· Understand how the law treats different libraries - academic, school and public.
· Understand the types of speech that are not protected by the First Amendment, and when to call the police to report child pornography
· Develop skills for recognizing and strategies for responding to challenges
This webinar will be of interest to library staff at all levels in any type of library. It will be particularly beneficial for those who are relatively new to the library field and who have not had any formal training in the core values of the profession.
Do you require an accommodation?
Closed captioning will be provided upon request. For this service, please notify firstname.lastname@example.org at least 72 hours before the webinar.
If you are unable to attend the live event, you can access the archived version the day following the webinar. Check our archive listing at:
Presented by: Mary Minnow