Introduction to Cataloging for Non-Catalogers (LibraryU)
A self-paced, web-delivered course offered by the Illinois State Library's "Library U." You will need an account with WebJunction to register for this course. The WebJunction account is free; the Library U course costs $40. Library U's course description follows:
This course, aimed at library staff new to cataloging, provides an introduction to the purpose, importance and varieties catalogs. It also provides the learner with a basic orientation to standard cataloging activities.
Topics covered include
- The underlying concepts of cataloging
- A brief history of cataloging
- An explanation of why cataloging is important
- An overview of the characteristics and varieties of library cataloging.
- Descriptive cataloging
- Subject analysis
- And introduction to MARC
- The varieties of OPAC displays
- The three different types of cataloging activity